The Labor Day Holiday is a great and well-deserved opportunity to relax and have some fun. Unfortunately, our area may experience heavy winds and rains associated with Hurricane Hermine. Before you leave for the weekend, ensure that you are prepared appropriately to protect against the hazards associated with extreme weather. Don’t forget to monitor the weather report over the weekend and be prepared to adjust your weekend plans accordingly.
Here are some tips to have a safe and healthy holiday.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water before handling food and after handling raw poultry or meat. To guard against cross-contamination of bacteria, keep uncooked meats away from other foods.
- Cook foods thoroughly, especially ground beef, poultry, and pork.
- Refrigerate all perishable food within two hours.
- When using a grill, be sure to clean it thoroughly to remove any grease or dust. Check for gas leaks. Use the grill outside, not in a garage, porch, or other enclosed space.
- If you plan to use a fire pit, be sure to put out fire completely before leaving it unattended.
- Do not park your vehicle on grass as the hot exhaust can easily ignite dry vegetation.
- Don’t swim alone.
- Wear a life vest while boating.
- Supervise children at all times in and near the water.
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Apply it generously throughout the day.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Don’t drink and drive or travel with anyone driving who has been drinking.
- Wear your seatbelt at all times.
- Make sure your vehicle has been serviced before a long road trip.
- Familiarize yourself with your surroundings and know where the nearest emergency room is in case of an emergency.
Enjoy the weekend to the fullest and celebrate all of the achievements of America’s workforce both past and present.